Saturday, November 15, 2008

Adoption Day!




Well, yesterday was the big day!!! And what a day it was!!! National adoption day in Longview Washington is a big thing! In all the Cowlitz County Superior Court handled 30 adoptions that day, and we had 10% of them!!! They don't even hold court in the courthouse on this day. We all went to an annex building of the Catholic church, where they had gotten permission from the state court to hold court. All of the families were there together, with extended family and important friends. They had enough cake and cookies to create a sugar buzz for the entire city, I'm not sure that was such a good idea. Give kids of all ages candy cookies and cake, then expect them to go into a courtroom and sit through an adoption hearing. Fortunately, the hearings are only 10 minutes or so. They did them in some kind of order, and while we were waiting, they had a magician, 3 televisions set up with Nintendo Wiis for the older kids, toys for the younger kids, craft areas where the kids could make Christmas decorations and ornaments, (Franny made 5) and a coloring station for those who weren't about to go into a carb coma and had the attention span larger than a gnat...




As we sat in front of the judge and signed the paperwork, I was impressed by how great this all was and the attention paid to the children. During the program at the beginning, after Judge Johanson spoke, they actually had all of the children get up on the stage and give their name, and age, and talk a little about adoption. Of course, our children who are never bashful, clammed up and wouldn't say anything.




After the hearing, we got to take a picture with Judge Johanson, and then each of the children got a stuffed Teddy Bear, a mylar balloon with their name on it and a gift bag built especially for them by their case worker. Nicholle was given a single red rose as well, and I thought to my self, "yeah this is great, the kids get gifts, Mom gets a rose, and Dad gets 20 years worth of bills!!!" I'll tell you though, I wouldn't trade it for the world!!!

8 comments:

Woodrich Family said...

Congratulations guys! What an amazing day!! Here's to many more amazing days to come!

Kristine said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you guys to finally have the blessing of children - even if they make you crazy sometimes.
Hope you had a good weekend - the kids look very happy.

Bonnie and Tyler said...

Yay! I'm an auntie again!! haha. I'm so happy for you, I tell you I will be thanking Heavenly Father and have you guys in my thoughts today. Love you all!

Liz said...

i have to tell you, i really admire you and nicholle. i don't know if i could have gone through everything that you guys have. the waiting alone would have killed me. it's a really great thing that you guys are doing, not only do you now have three little everyday reminders of how blessed you are, just think about how blessed they are. they are being given the opportunity to grow up in a safe and stable home with parents that are very good examples of christ-like living. you are giving these children so much, and i know that you will be continually blessed for taking care of our Heavenly Father's children. i love you guys!

Randi said...

Congratulations! I didn't know it was happening this soon. I am really happy for you guys and can't wait to meet your kids :)

April said...

Yeah, Congratulations!!! I loved reading that, and your kids are cuties!
April

Kacorn said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you I can't even tell you!!! How old are Franny and Mario? It looks like your kids are around the same age as my Dad's three little ones. Anyway, I am so happy for you.

- Kari

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATONS! Wow, I'm so excited for you two. You have both proved your faithfulness time and time again to our Heavenly Father. I'm so glad to see experiences that show how he truly answers prayers, even if it's through seeing miracles in other peoples lives. I love you guys and am so happy for you!