Monday, January 26, 2009



So it has been a while, but there are good reasons.... so last Monday, Nicholle and I dediced to go skiing for the first time this year. After the stress of finding a baby sitter for the entire day, and trying to organize everything we needed, we finally pulled it together and were off. After dropping the kids off at the sitter at 7:30 and the hour plus drive up the hill, we finally arrived and were anticipating some great spring skiing, as it had been 62 degrees the day before and was promising to be the same this day. After standing in line for twenty minutes to spend over ninety three dollars on lift tickets, we headed down the hill to the BEGINNERS chairlift. Once we got to the top, we stopped to talk to a friend we met on the way up the lift. Nicholle wanted to head down the right side of the lift, so away we went. because it was icy, I was a little tentative, but took off and in trying to make a turn, caught the back edge of my ski and went over the top. My left ski released, but the right one didn't, and I found myself kissing snow. I found it very difficult to stand back up. My knee was killing me, so we very gingerly made our way down the hill. (There was no way I was going to let ski patrol put me in a sled...)Unfortunately, we had to ride the chair up again to get back to the lodge. So we tried that, and my knee was killing me all the way, so we packed it up and came home. Two lift rides....$93, messing up my knee on the first run....Priceless!

That afternoon the doctor's examination indicated an acute MCL strain. She told me to wrap it, ice it and stay off of it, but I'm not so good at following directions. So I found myself back in the doctor's office again this morning and am scheduled for an MRI tomorrow morning first thing. I guess my ski season is over.....

3 comments:

Kristine said...

Isn't that always the way? You get the sitter, spend the money and plan to have the most amazing day out... and it all goes horribly wrong. Good luck at the doctor tomorrow. In the meantime - Ice, ice, ice!!

Woodrich Family said...

Now that is truly one of those situations that goes better in the head than real life. Boy, will that happen to you a time or two as the parents! At least you got over the hurdle of going the first time. Lucky for you, there's always next year!

BJ said...

I don't feel bad that I don't know how to ski now